Monday, January 17, 2011

Ritual scarring for beauty

It was in the paper today. Mostly one of the 'most warlike' tribes in some valley in Ethiopia. So the first thing out of my jolly ol' mum's mouth was 'aren't they such freaks?' And the first thing out of my mouth was; 'eh, not really.  guys used to do the same thing in old Germany, only mostly they tried to get it on their face. It was like the height of masculinity, so if your guy had one at the time-woof.' I said it like I was all into it too. And she just looked at me funny and couldn't say anything.


Now to see what all the rage is/was about.



 It's kinda cool in it's own way. I'm not one for body art, but yeah, culturally speaking, this is it in some of those tribes.

Now, onto the thing about the facial scarring for 'old Germany' as I called it. I wasn't even talking about Germania, I was talking, like, fifty years ago.

Link for lazy, because I don't want to retype this.



This dude is wearing a Prussian military uniform. I'd believe it if I could, but it doesn't really look like it's been colored(I could be wrong), so I'm gonna say he's probably from some movie. They didn't have colored pictures around Prussia's time.

I remembered this off the top of my head from when I learned it in the 7th grade. Had an awesome history teacher named Mr Mew. He's the one who originally taught me everything about the world wars. AND, he was also German, and taught German for 1 semester. Now he works at some university instead of our punk, nasty smelling middle school. This is why German was the first language I ever started learning outside of English. I know less of it than French because of our school system, but yeah, when I learn German, I'm gonna track this man down and thank him for teaching me way back when, and show him the notebook I took, because I still have that thing. (Took some spectacular notes back then, I really did.)

Anyway, yeah, Mr Mew was also the guy who got to tell a bunch of twelve year old girls about the scarring thing for faces. And that if we were alive back then, we'd have thought it was hot too. (He used different, more gentile words, but yeah.) Know what? Yes, if I lived fifty years ago in Germany, I probably would have found that very very attractive. Haha.

~Ciao XD

No comments:

Post a Comment